Story of a Pencil and a Eraser

Perhaps we all do agree that small things matter more in life.
But when we look back on our lives we often remember the big events. Things those were momentous. Things that were very intense or remarkable. ….at that time.
This leaves out almost, most the days of our growing up years. If it’s only the big things that are important then that means that most of the rest of our life isn’t. …..
Thus let us put it in perspective and appreciate that the big events are the grandstands, it makes them memorable, but that doesn’t make them more important…..than say day to day relationships, the tender loving care of our parent in our growing up years….The dedication of our favourite teacher….The protective arm of an older sibling.
These are circles of love that we tend to forget.
It is the day to day nuances of relationships that matter….How we nurture them and cherish them every day of our life is important…………. a parent-child tie is one such lifelong bond of dynamic changes.
The history of attachment between child and parent changes constantly with altering parameters of need and dependence, which influences their relationship in mid- and later life. Attachment is an enduring emotional bond between two people. According to research on attachment bonds, intimate attachments are the centre of a person’s life. The attachment between parent and child begins before birth and provides comfort and security to the child.
 Now, what happens when equations change…..The child is an adult, and the roles are reversed?

I’m not sure of the answers myself. I would very much like to hear what you have to say
Would these small things in life still be important to you or would the big things that give your life meaning edge them out?
There is a very down-to-earth and straight forward small story I was told.I t touched my heart in its very simplicity…I thought it would be nice to share it with you.
There was once a little colourful pencil box…it used to go to school every day comfortably slipped in the backpack with the books.

 In it was a bright long peppy pencils and a short stubby eraser. One day the pencil was suddenly very remorseful ,and said ,’Ahh! I'm so sorry’.
Eraser was perplexed and tentatively questioned, ‘For what? You didn't do anything wrong.’


But the Pencil shook it sharpened edge and replied …. ‘I’m sorry because you get hurt because of me. Whenever I made a mistake, you're always there to erase it.’ Looking sad the pencil continued, ‘But as you make my mistakes vanish, you lose a part of yourself. You get smaller and smaller each time’.


The little stubby Eraser laughingly replied, ‘Ha Ha!! That's true. But I don't really mind. You see, I was made to do this. I was made to help you whenever you do something wrong. Even though one day, I know I'll be gone and you'll replace me with a new one, I'm actually happy with my job. So please, stop worrying. I hate seeing you sad’.


I found this conversation between the pencil and the eraser very inspirational. Parents are like the eraser whereas their children are the pencil.

They're always there for their children, cleaning up their mistakes. Sometimes along the way, they get hurt, and become smaller and older, and eventually pass on.


Though their children will eventually find someone new….a spouse, all the same parents are still happy with what they do for their children, and will always hate to see their precious ones worrying, or sad.

In my life, I've been both the pencil and an eraser. It pained me to see that one day all that was left with me was the eraser shavings …… the memories that I have of my parents.

As a pencil it may cause you a twinge, a kind of a dull ache to see the eraser, that is your parents getting smaller and smaller each day. For you will know as I know know, that one day, all that you will be left with you would be eraser shavings and recollections.

This is to all the parents out there.

 Love and respect are the most important parts in any relationship. With a healthy dose of each, parents can move past their role as disciplinarian and into their new role as friend and confident. 

Reaching a comfortable adult-to-adult friendship is a growing, changing process, and it's never too late to make new progress. 

Make a full circle of love.



Comments

  1. Oh Daarji.....That was so Touchy.How much compromises our Parents does for us,In fact they almost Sacrifices our Life to up bring us and to put those priceless Smiles on our Faces
    U made us realize such important things, in such an easy way and Simple story.THANKS Daarji!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy that it touched yr heart.....

    I am glad to be able to write stories that can be soul searching...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment